A baseball bat is a long smooth metal or wooden club that hits the ball after a pitcher throws it. By baseball regulations, it should not be more than 42 inches in length and 2.5 inches in diameter at the thick part. In the olden days, bats of around 1.4kg were swung by baseball players; these days, most bats range between 0.94kg to 1.0kg.
Baseball VS Softball Bats: What’s the difference
While many mistook baseball and softball bats to be the same, the two are entirely different. The two vary in many ways due to the type of the game, how it is played, and who is playing it.
At trim levels, most softball bats can play baseball and vice versa. They both have similar lengths, weights, and shapes. But once in the adult stage, the two games have different bats. Now, let’s look at some key differences between baseball and softball bats.
The length of the bat
For adults, baseball bats are usually 33 inches, while ball bats are 34 inches.
The difference in length is because, in baseball, the pitcher is farther away from the batter and a little bit raised due to the pitcher’s mound, while in softball, a pitcher is closer to a batter, and they’re on the same level. As such, the extra length of the softball bat will allow the hitter to cover more of the plate when up to bat. Since the batter has less time to react to the pitch due to the level of the pitcher and the shorter distance, therefore, having an extra length to help in reaching out the plate can be extremely helpful.
Also, a baseball travels faster than a softball, so having a shorter bat can allow faster movement when getting the bat off your shoulder for a swing. And because the pitcher is farther away and elevated, the batter will have more time to adjust the pitches outside the plate, thus reducing a baseball bat by an inch to get an extra bat speed is a batter than having extra coverage.
The weight of the bat
Another huge difference between a softball and a baseball bat is the weight of the bats.
For baseball bats, most adult leagues abide by the -3 rule, meaning the bat must weigh within 3 ounces of its length. This means, if your bat is 33 inches long, it shouldn’t weigh less than 30 ounces.
This rule is made to ensure the safety of the players by preventing the use of extremely light bats that can be swung fast from being used during the play. The speed of a bat is one of the factors that can impact a ball as It leaves the bat.
In softball, however, the bat weight can make a big difference since there’s no -3 rule in softball. As such, fastpitch softball bats used to be lighter. They usually weigh between 23-28 ounces to be swung faster due to the smaller distance between the batter and the pitcher.
However, in slow pitch softball, a heavier bat is preferred since the speed of the bat isn’t a big concern as it is in fastpitch softball. The heavier the bat, the more momentum and power when you swing. As such, these bats weigh between 26 to 30 ounces.
Generally, baseball bats used to have wider barrels compared to softball bats. The barrel of a softball usually measures about 2-¼ inches while that of baseball measures around 2-⅝” for some reason.
The reasons are, baseballs are generally smaller than softballs; therefore, it’s harder to hit them with the sweet spot of the barrel. But by making the barrel a bit bigger, you’ll provide more surface area for the ball to make contact with. In softball, however, the ball is big as suc; it doesn’t require a bigger barrel; by using one, you might end up hitting a foul ball. The delicate nature of the barrel also makes the bats lighter in weight which in turn helps in bat speed.
How to choose a baseball bat
Choosing a new baseball bat for an upcoming season is a spark of excitement among many baseball players. However, choosing the right bat can be daunting due to different league regulations, height, and drop weight. Before choosing a baseball bat, it’s important to know some factors that you’re expected to note is to be safe from making the wrong choice. We shall discuss such factors below:
Your League’s regulations
The most important thing to think of when choosing a baseball bat is your league’s regulations. Most leagues are always making changes and updating regulations, as you’ll need to talk to your coach or any league official to know the type of baseball bat that meets the current league regulations.
Generally, there are three main baseball bats certifications, namely, BBCOR, USABat, and USSSA. Then the Tee-ball bat for youngsters.
The length of the bat
Baseball bats mostly measure between 24 to 34 inches from the cap to the knob end. This gives you pretty different options to choose from. However, the best way to know the perfect size of a bat for a player is by using their height and weight. Here are some ways to measure whether a bat is of the right length.
- Place the bat on the center of your chest, pointing it to the side of your outstretched arms. Try reaching the top of the bat with your fingers. If you can, you’ve got the right length of bat you need
- Position the bottom of the bat on the center of your chest, facing outward. Try grabbing the barrel, if your arm can reach out and grab it, then the bat is of the right length
- Keep the bat standing against the side of your leg, keep your palms straight anteriorly and see if the bat reaches the center of your palm when you go down. If it does, then it’s of the right length.
If you aren’t comfortable measuring the length of a bat using these methods, you can get a bat size chart and use it as a guide.
The weight of the bat
The weight depends on how much you feel. If, after taking multiple swings, the bat begins to drop, then it means the bat is too heavy for you. Another good way to know if the weight is okay is by holding the bat handle and extending your arm to your side. If you can’t keep it like this for 30 – 45 seconds, then the bat is probably too heavy for you.
Aside from the weight, the drop weight is also important. The drop weight is the number gotten when the length of a bat is subtracted from its weight. For example, a 30-inch baseball bat that weighs 20 ounces will have a drop weight of -10 ounces. The drop weight helps us know how light or heavy a bat is.
For youngsters playing tee-ball, they mostly use bats with higher drop weight for better control of swing and coverage. As they’re growing and developing more baseball skills, the drop will decrease, meaning they’ll start to use heavier bats to optimize their swing. Here’s a simple way to know if a bat is of the right drop weight for you:
- Hold the bat horizontally away from your body, if you can keep it like that for 45 seconds without getting tired, then it’s of the right drop weight
- Try swinging the bat continuously, if your arm feel fatigued and the bat feels heavy, then it’s not of the right drop weight
One Piece or Two Piece Bat
Another important thing to note when choosing a bat is whether it’s one piece or two pieces. This has a lot to do with how much energy and flex your bat will have.
One-piece bats are made from a continuous piece of material. Upon contact with a ball, there’s a little give or flex in the bat, resulting in no energy loss. This type of bat is great for balanced and powerful swings, but a missed hit can cause annoying stinging on your hand.
As the name suggests, two-piece bats are made by fusing the barrel and the handle. This design creates more whip and flex, thereby adding to bat speed. These types of bats can also withstand vibrations, making them the perfect option for players that hate the stinging feeling.
Composite or Aluminum Bat
This is another good thing to look at when choosing a baseball bat. The main difference between composite and aluminum bats is the size of the sweet spot.
Composite bats mostly come with a wider sweet spot to increase your chance of having a solid hit. This makes it ideal for kids and young players learning how to make solid contact with the ball. An aluminum bat, on the other hand, has a smaller sweet spot, so it requires skill and mastery to make solid contact.
The break-in time is also a difference between the two bats; a composite bat takes between 150 to 200 swings to break in, while an aluminum bat performs well right from the start.
Knowing your league’s regulations, the right length, weight, and drop weight, then you’re ready to go baseball bat shopping. It’s up to you to decide whether you want a one-piece, two-piece, aluminum, or composite bat.
How to Clean a Baseball Bat
With time, baseball bats tend to accumulate stains due to heavy usage. Though some players believe that the dirt adds to the character and shows how much you play, there are still times when we feel like restoring the shiny texture of our bats.
Cleaning your bat is quite easy; just use water and mild soap. Avoid solvents and harsh cleaners as they can harm the surface or damage the graphics on the bat.
How to Clean a Wooden Bat
If you have a wooden bat, then cleaning it will be quite tricky compared to other types of bats. If you try cleaning it with normal water, it will absorb too much water and spoil. Then what’s the way out? Here’s a good way to clean a wooden bat.
Get a clean rag and soak it in rubbing alcohol (It is a good stain, sweat, tar, and other contaminants remover). Use the soaked rag and clean the whole bat from the cap to the knob. Clean the handle thoroughly as it absorbs a lot of dirt and sweat since it’s where you grip. Get a rusty baseball bat and rub it against the scratches of your bat. After that, scrape the bat to remove the remaining stains; if this doesn’t work for you, try a magic eraser; you can easily find it in a baseball equipment shop. Just make sure you keep the bat away from water and direct sunlight after cleaning it.
How to clean an Aluminum Bat
Taking care of an Aluminum bat is much easier than taking care of a wooden bat. Here, you’ll need to start by removing dirt and grime using a moist cloth.
Then make a solution using mild detergent and warm water, use it to scrub the bat clean. For harder and tough stains, use elbow grease or a magic eraser to eliminate them. Rinse your bat thoroughly with clean water and dry with a clean, soft cloth.
You can use only soap and water to clean aluminum bats; using grease and a magic eraser will help remove all stains and restore the sheen and glow of your bat.
The same applies to composite bats, and you can easily clean them with a solution of dishwater and warm water. Avoid acetone, solvents, and other harsh cleaners that may damage the graphics and the finishing of your bats.
Now that you’ve known how to choose a baseball bat and how to take care of one, what remains is choosing a good bat. We won’t leave you; we’ve reviewed the best drop 3 baseball bats available on Amazon.
The 4 Best Drop 3 Baseball Bats Are Reviewed Below
Here, we are taking a look at the four best drop-three baseball bats that are available on Amazon. A Drop 3 or BBCOR bat has a barrel of 2-5 /8″ or smaller in diameter and a length to weight ratio of -3.
The 4 drops 3 bats to be reviewed are made from high-quality materials; they’re durable, lightweight, and easily cleaned. Each bat is discussed with its features, advantages and disadvantages.
Rawlings Raptor T-Ball Bat
The Rawlings Raptor Tee-ball bat is the best-selling baseball bat for young players. The lightweight composition of the bat and its enlarged barrel make hits easier than you can imagine.
It also has a durable 1 piece alloy design that enables it to stand up with other elements in the park or backyard. This bat will surely perform more than your expectations. Its electric blue and green design will also attract the attention of other players on the field.
- Extraordinary bat for young players: The bat is a top tee ball for young players who play with softcore tee balls.
- An amazing design: The Rawlings Raptor bat is designed with the perfect combo of control and power. The bat provides players with a large sweet spot on a boat that is easy to play with.
- Ideal for young players: This Tee-ball bat is ideal for players of 7 years and below. Its ultra-lightweight makes it easier for players to have more contact with the ball directly
- Fast swing: Having a lightweight, the Rawlings’s Raptor baseball bat also has a low drop weight which makes it have a pretty fast swing speed.
- Made from high-quality materials: For excellent performance and durability, the bat is made from a high-quality one-piece alloy.
- Stand out colors: Having a vibrant blue and green color, the bat will surely make young players stand out in the field, thereby giving them more strength and confidence to play.
- Brand name: Rawlings
- Manufacturer’s name: Rawlings
- Weight of item: 13.4 ounces
- Dimension of item: 25 x 2.25 x 2.25 inches [L x W x H]
- Weight of package: 0.39 pkg
- Dimension of the package: 25.23 x 5.47 x 3.9 inches [L x W x H]
- Material: Composite
- Outer material: Aluminum
- Color: Blue, Green, Black & White
- Style: Neon Green
- Suggested users; Young boys
- Size: 25 inches
- Hand orientation: 25/13
- Skill level: All levels
- The bat has a perfect combination of control and power. Therefore it provides players with a larger sweet spot.
- It is lightweight, therefore ideal for young players
- It has a fast swing speed
- It is made from a high-quality alloy
- It is for young players only
Stinger Missile BBCOR Aluminum Baseball Bat
The Stinger Missile BBCOR Aluminum Baseball Bat is carefully and professionally designed to help you perform extremely well in your baseball game. The BBCOR bat is engineered to optimize the exit velocity and pop in the right when it’s out of the box, so no break is needed.
Having a balanced swing weight, the baseball bat features a unique knob taper that’s made to mimic the feel of the popular 271 wood bat. It is also designed to deliver the required comfort and provides maximum bat speed.
During rigorous testing, the brand puts the Stinger Missile BBCOR Aluminum Baseball Bat up against renowned and industry-leading bats twice its price and always passed with flying colors.
The Stinger Missile BBCOR Aluminum Baseball Bat features a Lab tested BBCOR maximum 2 ⅝ barrel to enable you to find the right sweet spot easily and provide maximum power.
Having a Matte grey, white, red and black accent with a 2 toned grip, you’ll surely stand out in the field with the Stinger Missile BBCOR Aluminum Baseball Bat.
Features a power balanced barrel technology, a balanced swing weight for maximum control, a high tack and soft feel grip for maximum bat control, a 2 toned grip, a 2 ⅝” maximum barrel, and a pro handle with a 271 inspired tapper with an ergonomic shape to cater for all your grip styles, the Stinger Missile BBCOR Aluminum Baseball Is the perfect baseball bat that any player can get.
- Swing with morale: The Missile BBCOR baseball bat features a balanced swing weight for maximum control that’s made possible by the Power balanced barrel technology.
- Grip it the way you like: The Pro handle of the bat features a 271 inspired taper and an ergonomic knob shape that supports all gripping styles. The grip includes high tack and soft feel for maximum bat control
- Big Barrel, Big Power: The lab-tested Stinger Missile BBCOR Aluminum Baseball Bat has a maximum 2 5/8″ barrel to enable you to find the perfect sweet spot and maximum power.
- An amazing design: With the matte grey, white, red, and black colorway accent and a two-toned grip, you’ll surely stand out in the field.
- Certified: The Stinger Missile Aluminum Baseball Bat is certified by BBCOR.
- Warranty: The brand offers a one-year warranty upon purchase of the item.
- Brand name: Stinger Sport
- Manufacturer’s name: Stinger Sports
- Weight of item: 25 ounces
- Weight of package: 0.91 pkg
- Dimension of the package: 31.25 x 2.75 x 2.75 inches [L x W x H]
- Material: Aluminum
- Size: 31”
- Sport type: Baseball
- Suggested users: Men
- Age recommendation: Adults
- Skill level: All levels
- Certification: BBCOR
- Warranty: 1 year
- It features a balanced swing weight for optimal control
- Its handle can be gripped in different styles
- It has a big barrel to end the perfect sweet spot and maximum power.
- It comes with a beautiful design that makes you stand out in the field
- It’s suggested users are men only
Tyranno Sports T-Man Anodized BBCOR Baseball Bat
The Tyranno Sports T-Man Anodized BBCOR Baseball Bat has its barrel made from a strong alloy for future major league powerful hitters. It is also one of the lightest BBCOR drop 3 bats you’ll ever see that generates precision balance, an instant sound hit, and great pop.
The bat has a 2 5/8″ barrel diameter engineered with the thinnest barrel walls to increase durability and allow ultimate rebound energy. Its end cap allows lightning swing speed with an aced balanced feel that brings big sweet spots.
The BBCOR bat features an ultimate soft grip and stiff composite handle having a reinforced solid feel, cushioning, and tack that all help in effectively reducing vibration and sting.
The Tyranno Sports T-Man Anodized BBCOR Baseball Bat is BBCOR certified and NCAA and NFHS approved, making it one of the most lively bat barrels for hitters that want to perform outstandingly during games.
- A strong alloy barrel: The Tyranno Sports T-Man Anodized BBCOR baseball bat barrel is built from a strong and durable alloy that enables it to withstand pressure and hard hits
- Extremely lightweight: This Tyranno T-Man bat is one of the lightest BBCOR bats that you’ll ever find. Its lightweight helps in providing ultimate rebound energy and puts the outfield at work always.
- The Barrel: This BBCOR bat features a barrel of 2 5/8″ diameter that’s engineered with the slimmest barrel walls for an incredible pop with sound and instant hit of more line drives.
- A flat end cap: The Tyranno bat’s cap is made with the lightest yet stiffened material that provides fast swing speed and an optimal swing balance with large sweet spots.
- A soft-grip handle: The bat features a soft bat grip and a composite handle having a reinforced solid feel, a cushioning, and a tack in the hands while at the same time reducing stinging and vibrations
- Certified and approved: The Tyranno Sports T-Man Anodized BBCOR baseball bat is certified by BBCOR and approved by NCAA and NFHS.
- Warranty Description: 6 months after purchase of item
- Brand name: Tyranno
- Manufacturer’s name: Tyranno Sports
- Weight of item: 31 ounces
- Weight of package: 11.1 kg
- Dimension of item package: 34.5 x 3 x 3 inches [L x W x H]
- Size: 34 inches
- Drop weight: -3
- Model name: T★MAN
- Material: Aluminum
- Material of handle: Aluminum
- Color: Black
- Type of sport: Baseball
- Suggested users: Unisex
- Age recommendation: Adults
- Type of grip material: Soft
- Grip size: 1.8mm
- Type of grip: Polyurethane material
- Skill level: High School & College teams
- Warranty: 6 months
- Its extreme lightweight helps in providing rebound energy
- Its end cap is built from a lightweight yet tough material that provides fast swing speed
- It has a composite handle with a solid feel and cushioning that reduces stinging and vibration
- Both genders can use it
- The skill level is for high school and college players
Buying Guide Questions
Below we are going to look at some frequently asked questions by buyers about BBCOR & baseball bats in general.
Which Baseball bat has the most pop?
The Maple 2K1 Sam bat is the baseball bat with the highest pop as no bat in recorded history has hit the ball off as it did.
What BBCOR bat has the most pop?
The Marucci Cat8 is regarded by many as the BBCOR bat with the most pop. Made from the AZ105 alloy, that bat comes with an excellent performance barrel that lasts for a long time. If you want to hit the ball further than you’ve ever hit them before, choose the Marucci Cat8.
How to know if a bat is dropping 3?
To know if a bat is dropped 3, check its barrel diameter; it will be around 2-5/8″ or smaller in size. Also, its weight to length ratio will be -3.
What is the hottest bat in the market?
Here are the three hottest baseball bats in the market.
Marucci 2019 Cat8 BBCOR Baseball bat
Marucci Posey 28 BBCOR -3 baseball bat
Louisville Slugger 2020 Vapor Baseball bat
Can BBCOR bats go dead
The fact is all bats have a limited life, and BBCOR bats aren’t an exception. After your BBCOR bat is fully broken in, and you notice that its pop is declining slowly, this means that your bat has dead or it’s dying.
What is the best bat ever made?
The DeMarini 2015 CF7 Youth Baseball bat is one of the best baseball bats ever made, and it has been applauded by many over the years.
What is the best BBCOR bat ever made?
With many BBCOR bats in the market, choosing the best one isn’t easy. Here are the 3 best BBCOR bats available:
Louiseville Slugger Meta 2021 BBCOR Meta
Rawlings 2021 Velo BBCOR Baseball bat
Marucci CAT Connect BBCOR baseball bat
What is the best drop 3 BBCOR bat?
One of the best Drop 3 BBCOR bats ever made is the Louiseville Slugger Meta 2021 BBCOR Meta
The bat is made from high-quality materials. Therefore, it’s very durable; it also has a high pop and a wide barrel.
Do heavier bats hits farther?
Yes. Heavier bats tend to hit farther than lighter bats. This is because doubling the mass of the bat result in an increase of 12mph, which will, in turn, increase the speed and how far a ball will go.
Do any MLB player use a 32-inch bat?
Generally, most MLB players use a 34 inch and 32 ounces baseball bat. But this doesn’t mean a 32-inch bat doesn’t isn’t good to play with.
How do you know if a bat is too heavy?
A simple way to know if a bat is too heavy is by holding the bat and extending your arms. If you can’t withstand this for 45 seconds, the bat is too heavy.
One of the great advantages of BBCOR bats is that it’s more durable than other types of bats. This is because most BBCOR bats passed multiple tests before being released into the market. BBCOR bats are also believed to enhance players’ performance by allowing them to hit more on the field.
For more, check out our other articles: